This document explains how Freestar configures our header bidding set-up in your Google Ad Manager (GAM) account and walks you through the permissions required to integrate with our platform. Please let us know if you have questions about any of the permissions described below.
We are expecting that your programmatic ad units (to be used with Freestar) have already been created in your Google Ad Manager (GAM) account. If not, create the necessary ad units.
We are also expecting that this GAM will be the only one used on your pages. Since all GAM set-ups use the GPT library, multiple GAMs on the same page can cause unexpected issues and impact ad serving or reporting.
Please note, we are unable to accept publishers/sites that have Ad Exchange or AdSense site-wide policy bans or are denied from Google.
Changes Freestar makes in your Google Ad Manager account
Freestar will add the following key-value combinations into your Google Ad Manager (GAM) account for bid communication and reporting.
|Key Name (using Publisher Ad Exchange)||Values||Reportable||Purpose||Required|
|fstr_u||15,000||Yes||Encoded reporting values; the quantity of values is configurable; 15,000 is our default||Yes|
|fstr_sdbg||10||Yes||Values used for manual report pulling||Yes|
|fstr_hb_pb||900||Yes||Values for the prebid bid winner price||Yes|
Freestar will add the "Sortable" customer to allow our orders to be associated.
Orders, Line Items, and Creatives
Freestar uses the Google Ad Manager API to add 2 orders with 450 line items each (with our necessary creatives) into your Google Ad Manager account. We will pass the highest-priced bid to your Google Ad Manager (GAM).
Interstitial Ad Units
We will create the interstitial ad unit for you and load the interstitial through our tag file unless you reach out to us to opt out. Our default set-up is to create an interstitial ad unit (sizes: 320x480, 300x250, and 336x280) to be used on your site. If you have an existing Google Ad Exchange order, we will add the new interstitial ad unit into the targeting and the three (3) sizes with any necessary creatives to ensure it can serve.
Creating a user for Freestar in your GAM account with permissions
- In the Admin tab of your Google Ad Manager, navigate to Access & authorization > Users. Click New user.
Enter the following information in the required fields.
- Name: "Sortable"
- Email/Confirm email: "email@example.com"
- Select the appropriate user role.
- GAM Small Business: Administrator – This user has access to all Ad Exchange and Google Ad Manager functionality.
- GAM 360: Administrator or create a custom role that grants access with the specific permissions needed to set up header bidding orders and maintain ongoing reporting via the API. The permissions required are described in the table in the Custom user permission breakdown section (below). Along with the typical Google Ad Manager permissions, include the Ad Exchange permission in the Access to Google Ad Manager tabs section to allow access to both sections. If using Teams, add "Sortable" to “All entities” so that we can complete our set-up.
Click Save to send an email invitation to Freestar.
Custom user permission breakdown
If creating a custom user profile for Freestar, use the following list of permissions. We need two (2) sets of permissions for initial set-up and reporting.
- The initial set-up permissions at the start of the integration allow Freestar to set up key values, line items, and creatives. You can disable the extra set-up permissions once your test page or live site verification has passed our testing.
- The reporting permissions allow Freestar to pull API data from Google Ad Manager and Ad Exchange to ensure we can report on your total earnings.
|Define and deliver orders||Initial set-up||Reporting (always on)|
|View all orders and line items||✓||✓|
|Edit the priority and delivery rate for line items||✓||✕|
|Enable and disable creatives||✓||✕|
|Pause, unpause, archive, and unarchive orders and line items||✓||✕|
|Approve and reject orders and line items||✓||✕|
|View ad units, placements, and key-values||✓||✓|
|Edit ad units, placements, and key-values||✓||✕|
|View my orders and line items||✓||✓|
|Edit approved orders and line items||✓||✕|
|Activate line items||✓||✕|
|Edit creative templates||✓||✕|
|Edit orders and line items, and submit for approval||✓||✕|
|View line item defaults||✓||✕|
|Edit key-values values||✓||✕|
|Manage people||Initial set-up||Reporting (always on)|
|View users, roles, and teams||✓||✓|
|View companies and contacts||✓||✓|
|Reporting||Initial set-up||Reporting (always on)|
|Create and view reports||✓||✓|
|View dynamic allocation opportunity report||✓||✓|
|Create and view Ad Exchange reports||✓||✓|
|Access to Google Ad Manager tabs||Initial set-up||Reporting (always on)|
Enabling API access in your Google Ad Manager account
Freestar requires API access to add our set-up into your Google Ad Manager account, and to continue to pull hourly reports to ensure you will be paid the full amount owed to you for your earnings. This setting needs to remain active while using Freestar.
To enable, in the Admin tab of Google Ad Manager, select Global Settings and ensure that the API access toggle is enabled.
Multiple Customer Management (MCM) Request
In order to work with Freestar and allow us to traffic our inventory through your GAM, we will send you an MCM request after we have been given access to your GAM account. Once you have received this request, please review and accept the agreement. This provides Freestar with the permission to traffic in your account and to speak to Google on your behalf should there be a need to escalate any issues or questions.